Paul Milner’s 2016 Course
English Research: The Fundamentals and Beyond
Researchers often approach English records from an American contextual viewpoint leading to misunderstandings and errors. We will address the fundamentals of all the major record groups, including the laws that created them, examining how to search the indexes, exploring what is and is not available online. Case studies will highlight the research and record evaluation processes to determine next steps. Individual consultations are available to assist each participant focus their personal research.
- Learn and go beyond the fundamentals in using English records
- Understand the laws that created the records , plus how and why they changed over time
- The effect on the records themselves as laws changed
- Case studies showing how to access, use and interpret the records
- Identifying the how-to, finding aids, and resource tools for your research
- Records addressed will cover the 15th century to the present and will include: civil registration; census; church records; parish chest; probate court records; military; occupation; taxation; maps; planning your research trip to England; and more . . .
- Receive personalized one-on-one guidance